Learn To Read is an interactive early reader ebook for kids. The idea for this app came from the frustration that most beginning reader books have very small type. It is hard for children to focus on the words and move their fingers along the letters, while they sound it out. Flash cards solve the size problem, but are boring because there is no content.
- New animation when the correct word is tapped
- You can now choose between two fonts. The original print based font, or a font called OpenDyslexia that some people with dyslexia find easier to read.
Other App Features
- Alliterative and rhyming verse to promote phonemic awareness.
- The child is asked to find the target word on a screen of words that sound and are spelled similarly. This puzzle encourages the child to look for patterns in the words to find the correct answer.
- Uses a simple print based font where the letters look like the letters they are taught to write.
- There are sixteen target words for a total of 64 pages.
- There is a "read-to-me" option where the child can click the button to have the app read them the text.
Learn To Read helps achieve the following Common Core Standards
RF.K.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
- Recognize and produce rhyming words.
- Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
RF.K.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ
Click here to see more posts about learning how to read.